- Mimbres: Lots of resources shared with a group of users with periodic updates to the users. (add/remove) and the periodic addition of resources.
- BrRec Phoenix: Lots of resources actively managed by mainly one person, but with one-ff sharing of resources to people for a period of time (generally a week). Resources are sometimes added by contractors by sharing sub-collections with them.
- VCP: super complex structure with unclear future for rights. Along with the Army Corps of Engineers collections shows one of the issues of duplicate content because the ACOE collection and VCP collections overlap.
- SRP Library: Mixture of types of content (managed/unmanaged).
- The MAC Lab / Legacy Project collections: Nested rights shares, one for each base, but managed by a general collection.
- Adam's State University: Some more unique rights management issues having to do with being able to add things but not remove them.
What is a "collection”: A collection is an organization of resources that a user may or may not have submitted or have rights to. Examples of collections might include: "Cape Cod Archaeology”, “SRP Digital Library”, "Jim’s interesting resources"
What is a “share”: A share is a group of resources that allows a user or a group to assign rights to a person or group of people.
|Hierarchical (can have parent)||X||X|
|Viewable when not logged in||X|
|Sortable||X||The owner can specify the sort-order of resources (title, resource type, etc)|
|different display orientation||X||The owner can specify how resources are displayed (map, image grid, list)|
|can be "white label"||X||Custom display settings for the collection page including header and featured resources|
|Rights & Permissions|
|can add things that the user doesn’t have rights to||X|
|delegate rights to resources to other users||X||(how collections currently work today) |
|allow timed access||X||Allow access to resources in a collection for a week or fixed period of time|
|multi-user||X||X||Allow multiple users to administer a collection or share|
|can inherit permissions||X||Allow a “parent” to delegate rights to a share or a collection|
|View resources||X||Allow a user to view resources based on permissions|
|Download files||X||Allow a user to download resources based on permissions|
|add to||X||X||Specific permission to allow users to add resources|
|remove from||X||X||Specific permission to allow users to remove resources|
|administer||X||X||Specific permission to allow users to administer the collection/share|